Conference on Women and the Civil War 2023
Call for Presentation Proposals
For the past twenty-five years, the Society for Women and the Civil War has proudly hosted its annual conference focused upon the lives of women during the period of 1861-1865, both in the United States and the Confederate States. Each year, it invites professional and amateur historians, scholars, members of the Society, and members of the public to join us in celebrating women’s contributions to our country's history during the Civil War, showcasing original and innovative research in our conferences.
SWCW’s 2023 conference will be held in the Cumberland Valley, based at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on 28-30 July 2023. The theme will be “Women in Government Service”. The Society invites proposals for presentations examining the lives, service and contributions of USA and CSA Civil War-era women in local, regional and national government operations. Possible topics include the manner in which Dorothea Dix operated her office for recruiting, training and managing US Army nurses; the role of women in Treasury Departments, such as Euphemia Mary Goldsborough Willson for the CSA and Jennie Douglas for the USA; women postal workers, such as Lavinia (Vinnie) Ellen Ream Hoxie; women government scientists, such as Maria Mitchell and general working conditions for women in government service. Proposals for presentations regarding other relevant topics will be welcomed for consideration.
Potential speakers should submit by electronic means:
1. A synopsis of the presentation, of not more than three (3) pages. The synopsis must indicate why the presentation is related to the conference theme. It must also include a description of visual and physical aids used to illustrate and highlight the presentation and identify the technology required to use the aids.
2. A bibliography of the sources used, with an emphasis on the primary sources.
3. A personal biography of not more than two (2) pages, including a listing of credentials, prior presentations (if any), publications (if any) and contact information. Links to on-line presentations made previously are considered quite useful. This should not be construed to discourage amateur historians.
Note that presentations are expected to be of a duration of approximately one hour.
If a presentation is selected, the information provided by the speaker will be included in the conference binder. The speaker may also be invited to have the presentation videoed and to contribute the speaker’s summary to a follow-on issue of the Society’s scholarly journal, At Home and in the Field.
Submissions will be evaluated principally upon the following criteria:
1. Originality of the topic.
2. Relevancy of the topic to the lives and efforts of women living in the USA and CSA during the Civil War era and to the conference theme.
3. Quality of research, highlighting the use of primary sources.
4. Quality of the presentation, including the use of visual aids.
5. Presentation ability of the speaker.
6. Anticipated attendee interest level for the topic.
Submissions from graduate students are encouraged. Subjects examined from a micro-history perspective are also welcomed. Displays accompanying the presentations are also welcome.
Please send submissions, and any questions or inquiries, to: firstname.lastname@example.org ATTN: 2023 Conference Speaker Proposals.
Those chosen to make presentations will receive free conference participation, including conference presentations, field trips, displays, social events and meals. Lodging for the Friday and Saturday night of the conference will be provided for speakers. Speakers will also benefit from conference and general publicity provided by SWCW. Those selected who have published books on Civil War themes are invited to set up tables for book sales and signings – without fee. Speakers will be provided with a one-year courtesy membership in SWCW for the following year which the speaker may care to renew. Speakers are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from the conference.
Deadline: All submissions must be RECEIVED by 1 November 2022. Presentation submission indicates the willingness to speak if selected by the SWCW conference committee. In December 2022, the Society will contact all those who have provided proposals.